Spring appears to have finally sprung here in the UK so before tackling my first sportive of the year it was time to remove the Cannondale’s winter threads and get it’s summer spec on.
This meant removing the mudguards that had been required for the Reliability Ride season, giving the bike a full clean and a ‘shakedown’ to ensure that everything was working as it should.
My Cannondale has become my ‘workhorse’ bike since I had it built up last year. It’s a great all rounder and considering the frame is a TdF issue it’s surprisingly comfortable even on the crater strewn UK rides I usually find myself riding. So whilst my Scott Foil is used on my Kickr the Cannondale is used for commuting, club rides, reliability rides and sportives. If it’s related to being on two wheels then the SuperSix has become my preferred weapon of choice!
It’s great for climbing as it’s so light and as previously mentioned it does well at dampening almost all road noise and vibrations. Having now completed two 100+ mile sportives on it I can highly recommend Cannondales as being really comfortable and forgiving from an endurance ride perspective.
Next on the shopping list, in readiness for September, are a set of Zipp 404 Firecrest wheels and a Stages Gen 2 power meter. Once they’re acquired and fitted I can see the SuperSix being around for a good few years. It really is that good a bike.
Frame: SuperSix EVO, BallisTec Hi-Mod Carbon
Forks: SuperSix EVO, BallisTec Hi-Mod Carbon 1-1/8″ to 1-1/4″ Tapered Steerer
Bars: Zipp Contour SL Handlebar – 44cm
Stem: Zipp Stem Service Course SL 6° 110mm Polished Black
Headset: SuperSix EVO w/ 25mm Carbon top cap and 5mm Hidden top cap
Bar Tape: Fizik Superlight Handlebar Tape with Logo
Brake Levers & Calipers: Ultegra Brake Set BR-6800
Shifters: Dual Control Shifters Set STI Ultegra ST-6800
Front Mech: Ultegra Front Derailleur FD-6800 Braze On
Rear Mech: Ultegra Rear Derailleur RD-6800 (medium cage)
Seat: Fizik Arione Wing Flex
Seat Post: Zipp Seatpost SL Speed SL 20mm Offset
Cranks: Ultegra FC-6800 Crankset
Chainrings: Standard 39/53 teeth (175mm crank length
Chain: Ultegra 11-speed Chain CN-6800
Cassette: Ultegra Cassette CS-6800 11-32
Pedals: Speedplay Zero Stainless Road Pedals
Bottom Bracket: Praxis Works PF30/BB30 to Shimano Bottom Bracket Adaptor
Wheels: Mavic R-Sys SLR
Tyres: Continental Grand Prix 4 Season 700C Folding Duraskin Road Tyre
Tubes: Mavic Presta Valve Inner Tube 60mm
Brake Pads: Mavic Exalith 2 Rim Brake Pads
Bottle Cages: Elite Cannibal (x2)
Garmin Out Front Mount
So Saturday saw me retreat to the garage, cleaning products in hand, to get everything ready for Sunday.
Unfortunately, as I attempted to remove the mudguards it become clear that they had seized up following my winter forays into Yorkshire (those of you that know me know that I’m not a ‘mechanical’ type person and so this caused a big problem).
It didn’t matter how much WD40 (please be aware that other lubrication products are available on the market) I blasted into the fixings nothing would help shift them. It was obvious what I had to do to remove them without damaging them, but they weren’t in the mood to play ball so I resorted to the only course of action I had open to me as I was slowly running out of time to take Sarah to the train station and then head on to Cheshire for the ride.
So I went nuclear on their ass!
Armed with a screwdriver and a cast iron will to get on the road I prised both mudguards off whilst causing (inadvertently) as much damage as possible ensuring that I can’t use them again next winter (Ooooops). However, needs must and I was on a tight schedule!
The clean up operation also revealed a couple of other issues that needed to be fixed – The front brake would not grip to the fork and the chain would not stay in 1st or 2nd gears. This would mean a trip to Otley Chevin Cycles before heading on to the sportive which threw another monumental spanner in the logistical works.
Thankfully after dropping Sarah off in Leeds I was able to make good time to Otley where one of their mechanics was able to get me up and running in about 20 minutes. Unfortunately I didn’t manage to catch his name, but he was a total life saver and prevented the rest of the staff and customers seeing a grown man cry at his own mechanical ignorance.
So I was now ready – Kit packed, Sarah dropped off and bike fixed. All I had to do the following day was ride 108 miles through Cheshire!